Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Castro Bump! Who's Right Fucking On? Me! And Jason's Fans Aplenty!

Would you look at that? I get a Castrocopia award! Yay!




I am just starting my blog, and it’s already made a friend. How cool is that? My very own Permalink!

I love the folks over at Castrocopia. Whenever I felt unduly harassed by non-Castro fans, whenever my AI-loving self got no love from TPTB, whenever I’d read up on some very misleading press about Jason, I’d head over on to Castrocopia for my dose of Castro comfort.

It is a virtual community that was full of laughs and genuine musical appreciation. We appreciate and celebrate the guy who, and the music that, brought us all together. And to take the camaraderie a little further, CUSP was born. That Castro movement that promises to make the world a little better.

The fact is that Jason Castro has the BEST FANS IN THE WHOLE WORLD. People who would set aside time to volunteer, after giving the gentlest and sweetest of nudges to a guy who deserves to be heard in public more often. Some AI fans would settle for simply waiting for an album to come out. Not the Castrocopians, the Dreadheads, the Castrofans, the musical souls of this planet. They looked at what Jason represents, and sought to follow his lead. Of course, they will wait for that much-anticipated solo album. But they can do more than that. And this is why I love this community of Jason lovers. We have the maturity and the grace to look at the world beyond us and see how we can give ourselves to it. Much like Jason has done the whole time AI was on air.

It reminded me of that little “mixup” a while back. When the charity that was supposedly Jason’s “pet” charity was not the actual one. And yet people still gave. And Jason’s reaction to all this? “There are no accidents. Everything happens for a reason.”

Lovely.

You wonder… what can the Archey Angels do? Those Cougars for Cook? What if they banded together and planted trees? Or collectively shut off the lights when they leave a room? That would have made a difference. Despite the flash and panache of an Idol Gives Back, there is still much to do. And more often than not, people don’t have the money to give. But they have time to give. And that is something to think about.

But back to the best fans in the world. Jason’s. Isn't it amazing how someone’s music can turn his listeners into change-seekers and do-gooders? How someone’s personal convictions can be filtered into the mindsets of those who think and love alike? Isn’t it great? Musician and listeners become one. I don’t care what the others think of us who have proudly stood by Jason all these weeks. It is not just the pants, you know. The universe is a much better place with us in it.

Note to Liz Lemon, McLovin, and spinningwheel: Thank you.

Update:

Okay... I gotta say it again. Jason's fans are the best ones ever! I nearly forgot to check for comments, so it was quite overwhelming to see a lot of them. Here's hoping it's not the same Anonymous person writing something different each time! The comments are sweet and great to read through. Thanks so much!

To the person who felt bad about me criticizing the other contestants. I guess, being in the public eye, they are fair game - just as Jason was for so many weeks. And he will continue to be fair game, mark my words. Unfortunately for me, my attempts at sarcasm and snark got lost in translation. I'm no David Cook or Michael Johns. In this instance, I wish I was. But thank you for that. I think I got too caught up in my thoughts. After all, the other contestants are his friends, too. My apologies to those who found it a little unpleasant to read through.


No comments: